Have you ever had beer bread? On the ease to delicious ratio, it’s about a 1:100. Totally easy, totally delicious. So when Jocelyn over at Inside Bru Crew Life had me inspired by all her apple recipes to make something apple-y and delicious, this twist on beer bread immediately came to mind. Hard cider + cinnamon apples + bread = just about the best thing ever. And when you add maple butter to the equation, it is the best thing ever.
Who here is a fan of apples? I’m raising my hand. I could probably eat 5 apples a day and be a happy camper. Who here is a fan of bread? Oh good, you too? Carbs. Enough said. Who here is a fan of hard cider? Sweet alcohol that just tastes like juice. Yeah, I’m a fan. But when you put these three beautiful things together, you get magic. Warm and dense bread, sweet and soft apples, and a slight hint of sweet hard cider… I’m salivating just thinking about it. But it isn’t finished there. Slather it up with some maple butter and your mouth will experience pure, apple hard cider bread bliss.
This bread is as easy as pie. Actually, probably 20x easier. It takes about 5 minutes to throw together and then you just let it do its thing in the oven for a bit. Your house will smell delicious (sorry guys! It’s my job) and you’ll want to jump right into the oven with the bread. Don’t! I promise you it will be worth the wait.
If you want to make a delicious bread for breakfast, for a potluck, or for company, you’ve come to the right place. If you want to make a delicious bread for you (or to share if you really want), you’ve come to the right place. Have an occasion? Have a boring weekday? Bake this bread and watch the blissful tastes and feelings ensue.
(Look at this cinnamon sugar goodness!)
What’s your favorite type of bread to make?
I’m going up to Seattle this weekend to visit (!!) so I apologize in advance if I’m MIA. See ya on the flip side!
- 1½ c. whole-wheat flour
- 1½ c. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 3 tsp. cinnamon, divided
- ½ tsp. nutmeg
- ¼ c. + 1 tbsp. organic cane sugar (or plain granulated), divided
- ¼ c. brown sugar
- 12 oz. (one regular size bottle) hard cider
- 1 c. chopped apples (I used about one large gala apple)
- For topping: ¼ c. organic cane sugar and 1 tsp. cinnamon
- For butter: ¼ c. (half a stick) butter and ⅛ c. maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 375. Grease bread pan and set aside.
- Mix flours, salt, baking soda, baking powder, spices, and sugar together in a large mixing bowl.
- Chop apple and toss in 1 tbsp. sugar and 1 tsp. cinnamon. Set aside.
- Add hard cider to large mixing bowl of dry ingredients. Mix until combined.
- Add apples, stir until combined.
- Pour dough into baking pan. Spread until evenly distributed.
- Mix ¼ c. sugar and 1 tsp. cinnamon in a small bowl. Sprinkle over the top of the bread dough.
- Bake bread at 375 for 45 minutes (yours may take up to 55 depending on your oven) and until top is golden brown and slightly crispy (think crisp bread crust texture).
- Remove from oven, let cool slightly, and remove from pan to cool on a cooling rack.
- Soften butter slightly and blend the butter and maple syrup together in a food processor.
- Cut bread, add butter, and enjoy!